Delicia Washington had the ball in her hands with 15 seconds left and the game tied at 56. She calmly dribbled to the top of the key with the crowd buzzing over Florida’s late run and sized up Missouri guard Amber Smith.
The South Carolina Gamecocks led from tip-off to the final whistle at the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina, on Thursday night. They handed the Florida women’s basketball team its third-straight SEC loss and seventh-consecutive road defeat, winning 71-40.
Sunday’s 64-56 loss at the hands of Auburn raises an interesting question about the Florida Gators women’s basketball team: Who can the team turn to when its two leading scorers, Funda Nakkasoglu and Delicia Washington, aren’t at the top of their games?
The Florida women’s basketball team needed big performances from its two leading-scorers in Funda Nakkasoglu and Delicia Washington to win on Sunday. They didn’t deliver.
Guard Funda Nakkasoglu found her deep shot at the right time. She rose up without hesitation and made back-to-back threes, the ball slicing through the net and giving the Gators the lead late in the third quarter.
More Women's Basketball Stories
- Rainey’s three falls short at buzzer, Gators fall to UNLV
- Utes overpower Gators in Las Vegas
- Winning streak snapped as Gators fall at Ohio State
- No Nakkasoglu, no problem as Gators blowout FAMU
- Defense lifts Florida to second consecutive win
- UF looks to carry momentum into home game with Bethune-Cookman
- Gators beat Texas Tech for first win of season
- Three things Gators need to fix before Texas Tech
- Northeastern pulls away late as Gators remain winless
- Florida seeks first win of the season over Northeastern
- Florida falls to Indiana in midweek clash
- Gators falter against Northwestern, remain winless
- Gators fall to Mercer despite strong play from veterans
- Gators look to right the ship against Mercer on Thursday
- Florida blows early lead, loses to rival Florida State in Tallahassee
- Gators open season in disappointing fashion with loss to Gardner-Webb
- Gators prepare for second year of Newbauer’s rebuild
- Y’all, the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament is about to be awesome
- Florida builds 'foundation' in Newbauer’s debut season
- Florida’s woeful 2017-18 campaign comes to a close in first round of SEC Tourney