The Florida women’s basketball team seemed like it was going to pick up its first win of the season with three minutes left in regulation.
Mercer preceded Thursday’s game in Macon, Georgia, by unveiling a banner in the rafters of Hawkins Arena for its 2017 Southern Conference championship appearance. The banner reigned over a 92-82 Gators loss in which they never held the lead.
Florida guard Delicia Washington ran up the court with the ball and the momentum with just over five minutes left in the fourth quarter as her team traded baskets with Florida State.
Redshirt senior Funda Nakkasoglu already had 22 points on the day and had made at least half of her shots from three-point range. A pass from Delicia Washington put the ball in the right hands for the Florida women’s basketball team down by two with just a few seconds left.
Year 2 of the Cam Newbauer experience promises more of the same as far as the style of play for UF: fast pace, an active defense and, of course, attempting three-pointers at a clip that would make Steph Curry jealous.
More Women's Basketball Stories
- Y’all, the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament is about to be awesome
- Florida builds 'foundation' in Newbauer’s debut season
- Florida’s woeful 2017-18 campaign comes to a close in first round of SEC Tourney
- AGENT DOUBLE ZERO: Delicia Washington’s journey to UF and her tough decision over whether to stay
- Gators’ offense lethargic again as UF drops regular season finale to Georgia
- ‘A tale of two halves:’ UT defense too much for Florida in final home game of season
- Lorenzen, Hersler have confidence in Florida’s future in the frontcourt
- For Florida’s women’s basketball team, the objective all year has been to stick to the plan
- Gators women’s basketball teams sends off seniors with blowout victory over Commodores
- Gators suffer sixth straight loss against ranked opponent
- Gators women’s basketball wraps up 6-game stretch against ranked teams with matchup against No. 17 Texas A&M
- Despite UF’s women’s basketball team’s current five-game losing streak, coach Cameron Newbauer isn’t deterred
- Florida women’s basketball team drops fifth in a row in loss to South Carolina
- Gators women’s basketball crumbles in turnover-ridden blowout to Miss. State
- Delicia Washington, Gators women’s basketball team hopes to continue growth against No. 2 Mississippi State
- Florida women’s basketball team showing potential despite recent losses
- Florida’s women’s basketball team comes up short, drops third consecutive conference game
- Florida facing No. 15 Missouri tonight following bye week
- Paulina Hersler paying dividends for Gators women’s basketball team this season
- Florida women’s basketball team blows fourth-quarter lead, falls to No. 21 Georgia