Kaylan Marckese

Former UF goalkeeper Kaylan Marckese broke the school record for shutouts, finished second among UF goalkeepers in minutes and third in starts and saves and is tied for third in wins.

Former UF goalkeeper Kaylan Marckese is going pro. 

Marckese, who set the record for the most shutouts by a goalkeeper in the school’s history, was drafted by Sky Blue FC in the fourth round of the National Women’s Soccer League.

Marckese left a considerable mark on the University of Florida. Aside from breaking the program’s record for shutouts, she finished second among UF goalkeepers in minutes and third in starts and saves, as well as being tied for third in wins.

Sky Blue FC had an absolutely paltry 2018 campaign, going 23 straight games without a win and finishing dead last in the NWSL with a 1-6-17 record. Marckese is the sole UF player picked in this year’s draft.

“It’s hard to find words to express my gratitude and excitement for this opportunity, but I’m ready to get to work! Thank you Sky Blue!!” Marckese wrote on Twitter.

Her former coach at UF, Becky Burleigh, expressed thanks to the Southeastern Conference on Twitter upon news of the pick.

“Thanks @SEC soccer for providing a great environment to help make dreams come true!” she wrote.

Along with her newly-drafted teammates, Marckese will join U.S. National Team standout Carli Lloyd when she heads to New Jersey to play with the team.

Follow River Wells on Twitter @riverhwells and contact him at [email protected].

River Wells is a sports writer for the Alligator and covers the University of Florida women’s tennis team. He has previously covered UF swimming and diving. He has worked at the paper since Fall 2017.